The College's first newspaper, College Days (1873-1876, 1878-1879) was published monthly. It began publication in January 1873, as Vol. 1, No. 1, as a monthly, but was not issued in August and September (except for September 1878). It continued through Vol. 4, Nos. 9-10, November and December (one double issue) 1876. It then suspended publication. There were no issues in 1877. College Days resumed publication as New Series, Vol. 1, No. 1 (also marked as Old Series, Vol. 5, No. 1), with September, 1878, and ceased publication with New Series, Vol. 1, No. 10 (Old Series, Vol. 5, No. 10) June 1879.
The Student Weekly (September 16, 1915- March 11, 1964) was created in 1915 with the merger of The F&M Weekly, the College's major weekly newspaper and the College Student, the monthly literary publication of the College's Diagnothian and Goethean Literary Societies. (Published from 1881-1914, the College Student is only available in print in the Library's Archives and Special Collections.)
Known problems or gaps in coverage:
After a twelve-year absence, a weekly College newspaper returned in the form of The F. and M. Weekly (March 18, 1891- May 27, 1915; later known as The F&M Weekly).
The College Reporter (March 17, 1964 - present) originated with the March 17, 1964 issue as a name change to The Student Weekly. As opposed to The Student Weekly, the College Reporter was initially published twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays but became a weekly once again with the September 24, 1974 issue (published on Tuesdays). The paper began publishing on Mondays with the February 10, 1986 issue. The volume year runs March to March and the paper was not published during the months of June and July. While less frequent in later years, early May and late August issues have been published depending on the academic calendar.
Beginning with the February 10, 2014 (Volume 50, No. 19) issue, the College Reporter has been published in digital form. Issues are available at: www.the-college-reporter.com