The Franklin and Marshall College newspaper collection contains student newspapers published on campus beginning in 1873 through 2011. Titles and dates of coverage include:
The College's first newspaper, College Days was published monthly. It began publication in January 1873, as Vol. 1, No. 1, as a monthly, but was not issued in August and September (except for September 1878). It continued through Vol. 4, Nos. 9-10, November and December (one double issue) 1876. It then suspended publication. There were no issues in 1877. College Days resumed publication as New Series, Vol. 1, No. 1 (also marked as Old Series, Vol. 5, No. 1), with September, 1878, and ceased publication with New Series, Vol. 1, No. 10 (Old Series, Vol. 5, No. 10) June 1879.
After a twelve-year absence, a weekly College newspaper returned in the form of The F. and M. Weekly (later known as The F&M Weekly).
Known problems or gaps in coverage:
The Student Weekly was created in 1915 with the merger of The F&M Weekly, the College's major weekly newspaper and the College Student, the monthly literary publication of the College's Diagnothian and Goethean Literary Societies. (Published from 1881-1914, the College Student is only available in print in the Library's Archives and Special Collections.)
The College Reporter originated with the March 17, 1964 issue as a name change to The Student Weekly. As opposed to The Student Weekly, the College Reporter was initially published twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays but became a weekly once again with the September 24, 1974 issue (published on Tuesdays). The paper began publishing on Mondays with the February 10, 1986 issue. The volume year runs March to March and the paper was not published during the months of June and July. While less frequent in later years, early May and late August issues have been published depending on the academic calendar.
Beginning with the February 10, 2014 (Volume 50, No. 19) issue, the College Reporter has been published in digital form. Issues are available at: www.the-college-reporter.com
The Lancaster Journal was published as a weekly, tri-weekly, and semi-weekly from 1794-1839 when it merged with the Lancaster Intelligencer to become the Intelligencer and Journal. Beginning with the August 23, 1815 issue, the newspaper was published three times a week, reverting to twice a week beginning January 20, 1819 and back to weekly with the January 7, 1820 issue. Franklin College trustee, John Reynolds became publisher of the newspaper on July 7, 1820.
Find search tips and video tutorials on the F&M Digital Collections library guide.
The online versions of Franklin and Marshall College newspapers are available for research and educational purposes only. Copyright and other restrictions may apply. Users are responsible for obtaining the necessary permissions to reprint, reproduce or make other uses of this material.
For questions about using the F&M Student Newspapers Collection, contact Franklin and Marshall College Archives and Special Collections: email@example.com.
Timeline created using Timeline JS