Students will become familiar with Google search results to determine what sorts of sources appear in popular search engines.
Students will discuss the difference between scholarly and popular sources to determine characteristics of credible resources.
Students will locate and assess credible resources to determine what they can use in their research, and how they may use them.
1. Introduction: (5 min)
2. Discussion (5 min)
Google "refugee crisis italy"
What is the difference between a scholarly and popular source?
What are the elements of scholarly sources? What is peer review?
How does Google return results?
How do library databases return results?
3. Evaluating Activity (30 minutes)
4. Independent Searching/Quadrant Activity (10 minutes)
5. Closing: (Less than 5 Minutes)
While examining these resources, determine the following:
1. Who is the author?
2. What is the publication?
3. Would you use this in a research paper/project?
4. If so, how? As fact, counter-argument, etc.?