ASK A QUESTION
- Material from 18th and 19th century American periodicals.
African American Newspapers: the 19th century
- Material from 18th and 19th century African-American periodicals.
Alternative Press Index
- Index of nearly 300 alternative, radical, and left periodicals, newspapers, and magazines.
- Coverage from 1991-present.
America's Historical Imprints
- More than 100,000 early American books, pamphlets, broadsides, and rare printed materials.
America's Historical Newspapers
- Reproductions of early American newspapers including titles from all 50 states.
- Coverage from 1690-1922.
American Broadsides and Ephemera, Series 1
- About 15,000 broadsides (political materials) printed between 1820-1900 and 15,000 pieces of ephemera printed between 1760-1900.
American Pamphlets Series I 1820-1922: From the New York Historical Society
- Digitizes pamphlets from the New York Historical Society, which include printed materials written by authors from an unusually large socio-economic range.
- Locate primary sources held in over 220,000 special collections in the U.S., United Kingdom, and Ireland.
Benjamin Franklin, Papers of
- Project sponsored by the American Philosophical Society, Yale University, and the Packard Humanities Institute. Contains many unpublished writings by Franklin and the full text of his autobiography.
Burney Collection Newspapers
- Full-text access to newspapers and news pamphlets gathered by the Reverend Charles Burney (1757 - 1817) represent the largest single collection of 17th and 18th century English news media.
Civil War: A Newspaper Perspective
- Full-text news articles that compares news coverage between the North and the South. Features the Charleston Mercury, The New York Herald, and the Richmond Enquirer.
Early American Imprints, Series I: Evans, 1639-1800 and Supplements
- Full-text access to books, pamphlets, and broadsides published in America from 1639-1800. Click here for the Series I Supplement.
Early American Imprints, Series II: Shaw-Shoemaker, 1801-1819 and Supplements
- Full-text access to books, pamphlets, and broadsides published in America from 1801-1819. Click here for Series II Supplement.
Eighteenth Century Collection Online
- Full-text access to over 180,000 titles, including books, pamphlets, essays, broadsides and more. Published in the 18th Century in the United Kingdom and elsewhere.
Godey's Ladies Book
- 19th century periodical reflects American women's experience.
HarpWeek: the Civil War Era 1857-77
- Harper's Weekly newspaper during the Civil War and Reconstruction eras.
Making of America (Cornell)
- Digital library of sources in American social history from the antebellum period through reconstruction.
- Full-text electronic editions of classical writings in philosophy including published and unpublished original works, articles, essays, and correspondence.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- US fire-insurance maps that show building footprints, building material, height or number of stories, building use, lot lines, street names, property boundaries, road widths, and water facilities across America over time.
- Covers mid-1800s to present; Penn State University Maps Library has a near complete physical collection of Sanborn Maps for the state of Pennsylvania.
Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Over 1 million news segments, including evening news broadcasts from ABC, CBS, and NBC, as well as news reports from Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. Coverage from August 5, 1968 - recent days' news. View segments with Real Player.
Women Writers Online
- Features over 350 texts by pre-Victorian women writers.