PSY 305 - Cognitive Psychology
How to Find Books
- Select the Books & More tab on the Library's web
site. In finding books for this class, choose More Search
Options and use word, phrase, and subject terms relevant to your
- When you discover a book of interest, click on the title
and select the "Catalog Record" tab to look at the assigned subject
headings for that item. Note related subject headings, and click on them
to find other books that are described in a similar way, and may prove
- Remember to look for call numbers in both the STACKS
and the REFERENCE ROOM. Call numbers are designed to mirror themselves
in these two areas. If you find a valuable book in the Stacks, you will
find similar, high quality Reference items under the same call number in
the Reference Room.
Selected Reference Resources
Use these as points of departure for background on class
topics. There are many other Reference books and books you can find on
topics related to this course, as described above.
- International Encyclopedia of the Social and
- A wide ranging encyclopedia that
will provide helpful articles on topics in psychology, philosophy and
CogNet - trial good until November 1, 2011
- Preeminent resources in artificial intelligence, linguistics, neuroscience, psychology,
philosophy and education. An ever-growing electronic collection
of relevant books and journals, provides access to ten major
reference works published by the MIT Press, including the MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences.
- Oxford Companion to the Mind
- A one
volume compilation of virtually every important aspect of mind, brain
and consciousness, with over 300 contributors from the world's leading
- The Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- A regularly updated online encyclopedia of philosophy, great for
background information on a topic or person.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
continuously updated online encyclopedia of philosophy, written by
Journal Article (Scholarly Literature) Resources
The databases below are designed to point you toward high quality,
scholarly journal articles and other publications related to this class.
These resources are perfect for your project research.
- Philosopher's Index
- The comprehensive scholarly database covering books and journals
published since 1940 in philosophy.
- Contains searchable full text articles from journals published by
the American Psychological Association and related organizations.
- The APA's index of journals, books, dissertations, and reports on
psychology and related fields. Covers 1887 to the present.
- Web of
Science - Science and Social Science Citation Indexes
- The Institute of Scientific Information's premier citation
databases in the physical, life, and social sciences. Search for
articles that cite a known author or work or by standard search queries.
Covers 1965 to the present.
Need additional help?
Try the Psychology and Philosophy Subject Pages or
contact Scott Vine, Information Services Librarian, by
email, at 291 3840, or on IM at svine35 for further assistance.