GOV 326: African Politics
Reference Sources on Africa
HISTORY & POLITICS
- Encyclopedia of Precolonial Africa
- Ref DT 2 .E53 1996
- New Encyclopedia of Africa 5 vols.
- Ref DT 2 .N48 2008
- Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience 5 vols.
- Ref DT 14 .A37435 2005
- Oxford Encyclopedia of African Thought 2 vols.
- Ref DT 14 .O97 2010
- Encyclopedia of the African Diaspora: Origins, Experiences, and Culture 3 vols.
- Ref DT 16.5 .E53 2008
- Pan-African Chronology...1400-1865 3 vols.
- Ref DT 17 .J46 1996
- African Biographical Dictionary
- Ref DT 18 .B76 2006
- The African Studies Companion: A Guide to Information Sources, 4th Ed.
- Ref DT 19.8 .Z45 2006
- Encyclopedia of African History 3 vols.
- Ref DT 20 .E53 2005
- Historical Dictionary of Civil Wars in Africa
- Ref DT 21.5 .A76 2008
- Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century African History
- Ref DT 29 .E53 2003
- The United States in Africa: A Historical Dictionary
- Ref DT 38.1 .S53 1989
- Africa: South Of The Sahara 2012
- Ref DT 351 .A37 2012
- Encyclopedia of Africa South of the Sahara 4 vols.
- Ref DT 351 .E53 1997
- - historical dictionaries, for most African countries
- EX: Historical Dictionary of Algeria, Third Edition
- Ref DT 283.7 .N39 2006
- African Governance Report (UN Economic Commission for Africa)
- Ref Balcony JQ 1875 .A55 P643 2005
- Political Handbook of Africa 2007
- Ref Balcony JQ 1875 .P63 2007
- Elections in Africa: A Data Handbook
- Ref Balcony JQ 1879 .A55 E44 1999
- International Historical Statistics: Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2005
- Ref HA 4675 .M553 2007
- World Development Indicators 2006 World Bank
- Ref HC 59.15 .W656 2006
- World Development Report 2013 World Bank
- Ref HC 59.7 .W659 2013
- African Development Report African Development Bank
- Ref HC 800 .A1 A354 2008
- African Development Indicators World Bank
- Ref HC 800 .A1 A356 2006
- African Economic Outlook OECD
- Ref HC 800 .A11 A35625 2005-06
- Contemporary African Politics and Development: A Comprehensive Bibliography, 1981-1990
- Ref HC 800 .Z2C66 1994
General Reference Sources
- Europa World Year Book 2013. 2 vols.
- Ref Desk D 2 .E8 2013
- Encyclopedia Of The Developing World 3 vols.
- Ref HC 59.7 .E52 2006
- Statesman's Yearbook 2013
- Ref Desk JA 51 .S7
- World Encyclopedia Of Political Systems And Parties, Third Edition 3 vols.
- Ref Balcony JF 2011 .W67 1999
- Oxford Companion to Politics of the World, Second Edition
- Ref Balcony JA 61 .O95 2001
- Encyclopedia of Democracy 4 vols.
- Ref Balcony JC 423 .E53 1995
- Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2010 (U.S. Dept. of State)
- Ref Balcony JC 571 .U48 2010
The 2011 report is available online at the State Department's web page.
Indexes and Abstracts and Full Text
Social Sciences Full Text
Indexes over 300 English-language periodicals covering anthropology, economics,
psychology, social work, sociology, and related fields. Covers 1983 to the present.
Catalog of Government Publications
An index of all federal government publications from 1976 to the present.
FDSys (Federal Digital System)
Provides access to government information such as laws, bills, the budget, committee hearings, and much more.
Database produced by the Government Printing Office.
- The Times Index (London) 1960-
- Ref. AI / 21 / T46 (Microforms Room)
complete indexing of the London TIMES and its various supplements
full-text of articles from the past 10 years is available on
Connections to newspaper articles from all over the world. For stories from African publications, first choose "Sources" from the
menu at the top of the page, then select Africa from the pull-down menu. Next, select the News category and "newspapers" and a list
of publications will appear. After you make selections from that list you can then do a search for a topic.
CIAO (Columbia International Affairs Online
A comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs. Includes full-text of articles,
proceedings from conferences, books, journals, and policy briefs.
International Financial Statistics *Limited to 5 Simultaneous Users.
A standard source of international statistics on all aspects of international and domestic finance. The database contains approximately 32,000 time series covering more than 200 countries and areas.
IMF Country Reports
This includes economic and financial reports on all African countries, from the International Monetary Fund.
A data source that includes information on the global economy, finance, gender, education, health, natural resources, and environmental indicators. This resource, published by the World Bank, contains statistical data for over 600 development indicators and time series data from 1960 to the latest compiled for over 200 countries as well as 18 country groups. Databases include Africa Development Indicators.
Last updated: 1/23/13 tk,
contact Tom Karel for assistance, 291-3845
- Yahoo Africa Links
- U.S. Department of State
- African Union
- Foundation for Democracy in Africa
- United Nations Development Programme