GOV 231: National Security Policy
World Factbook (CIA), annual
Ref. G 122 .U56A 2010
Also available online
- Encyclopedia of Arms Control and Disarmament (3 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JX 1974 .E57 1993
Lengthy essays on a variety of topics. Vol. 2 contains chapters on arms control activity since
- Greenwood Encyclopedia of International Relations (4 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JZ 1160 .N65 2002
- International Relations, International Security, and Comparative Politics: A Guide to Reference and
- Ref Balcony JZ 1305 .K34 2008
- American Treaties and Alliances
- Ref Balcony KZ 236 2000
- Oxford International Military Alliances (2 vols.)
- Ref Balcony KZ 5900 .G53 2009
- Penguin Encyclopedia of Modern Warfare: 1850 to the Present
- Ref U 39 .M33 1991
- Weapons of Mass Destruction: An Encyclopedia of Worldwide Policy, Technology, and History (2 vols.)
- Ref U 793 .W427 2005
Vol. 1: Chemical and Biological Weapons. Vol. 2: Nuclear Weapons
- Strategic Survey
- Ref. U 162 .S77 2010 - most recent edition in Reference
SIPRI Yearbook: Armaments, Disarmament, and International Security, annual
Ref. UA 10 .S69A 2010
Compiled by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
The Military Balance, annual
Ref. UA 15 .L65 2010 .U48
from the International Institute for Strategic Studies (London)
- Researching National Security and INtelligence Policy
- Ref UA 23 .C5135 2004
- Encyclopedia of United States National Security (2 vols.)
- Ref UA 23 .E571274 2006
- U. S. National Security: A Reference Handbook
- Ref UA 23 .W36397 2002
Indexes and Abstracts
Social Sciences Full Text
Indexes over 300 English-language periodicals covering anthropology, economics, psychology, social
work, sociology, and related fields. Covers 1983 to the present.
Index to policy-oriented literature (books, journal articles and U.S. and foreign government
documents). International coverage of information about political, economic and social issues and
events in specific countries. Covers 1972 to the present.
Connections to full-text newspaper articles from all states(including New York Times and Washington Post), and major
world news sources. Many publications can be searched back to the early 1980s.
CIAO (Columbia International Affairs Online)
A comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs. It publishes a wide range of
scholarship from 1991 onward that includes working papers from university research institutes,
occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, proceedings from conferences,
books, journals and policy briefs.
Catalog of U.S. Government Publications
An index of all federal government publications from 1976 to the present.
A collection of abstracts and articles from over 100 scholarly journals, many dating from the nineteenth-century to the last 4 or 5 years.
U. S. Department of State
U. S. Department of Defense
Defense Security Service
National Security Agency (NSA)
National Military Strategy of the United States of America 2011
Released in February 2011, this report is 24 pages long.
Strategic Studies Institute (U. S. Army War College)
This site provides access to reports and ongoing research. A recent example is listed below.
National Security Reform 2010: A Midterm Assessment
This 212 page study was rleased in August 2011 by the Strategic Studies Institute.
Congressional Committee Hearings
Provides links to the full text of the transcripts of selected House and Senate committee hearings, 1995 to the present.
- Foreign Relations of the United States
- JX 233 .A3 (main stacks)
Published by the U. S. State Department, this series contains declassified memos and reports to and from U.S.
embassies and other official documents. 1861 to the present.
Last updated: 9/21/11 tk,
contact Tom Karel for assistance, 291-3845