GOV 130: International Politics
- Europa World Year Book 2012
- Ref Desk D 2 E8 2012
Contains chapters on each country of the world and the major international organizations.
A brief introductory survey is supplemented by a comprehensive statistical survey. This
is a good, quick source for recent statistics on a country. Also, the text of the Constitution,
a government directory, the diplomatic corps, the press, and trade organizations are
included.These volumes are kept at the Reference Desk.
- Statesman's Yearbook 2012
- Ref Desk JA 51 S7
An annual directory of international organizations and the countries of the world. The basic
information is comparable to what is found in EUROPA, though EUROPA's statistical and directory
sections are more comprehensive. This volume is kept at the Reference Desk.
- World Development Report 2012
- Re HC 59.7 .W659 2011
Published by the World Bank, each report covers a different topic.
- European Union: Encyclopedia and Directory
- Re HC 241.2 .E8334 2004
Amnesty International Report, 2012
Ref. Balcony JC 571 .A44 2012
Human Rights Watch: World Report 2012
Ref. Balcony JC 571 .H785 2021
Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, annual
Ref. Balcony JC 571 .U48
Compiled by the State Department for Congress. Also available online
- Foreign Relations of the United States
- JX 233 .A3 (main stacks)
Published by the U. S. State Department, this series contains declassified memos and reports to and from U.S.
embassies and other official documents. 1861 to the present.
- Encyclopedia of Arms Control and Disarmament (3 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JX 1974 .E57 1993
Lengthy essays on a variety of topics. Vol. 2 contains chapters on arms control activity since
- Yearbook of the United Nations 2007
- Ref Balcony JX 1977 .A37Y4 2007
A comprehensive overview of the official activities of the UN. The 7 sections of the Yearbook
cover: political and security questions, regional questions and peacekeeping, human rights, economic
and social questions, legal questions, administrative questions, and intergovernmental
- Encyclopedia of International Relations and Global Politics
- Ref Balcony JZ 1160 .E53 2005
- Greenwood Encyclopedia of International Relations (4 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JZ 1160 .N65 2002
- International Relations, International Security, and Comparative Politics: A Guide to Reference and
- Ref Balcony JZ 1305 .K34 2008
- Encyclopedia of Globalization (4 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JZ 1318 .E63 2007
- Europa Directory of International Organizations, 2003
- Ref Balcony JZ 4838 .E94
Contains information on membership, governing structure, and activities.
- Historical Dictionary of International Organizations, 2nd edition
- Ref Balcony JZ 4838 .S34 2010
Includes a chronology of events and a historical overview.
- International Organizations: A Dictionary and Directory
- Ref Balcony JZ 4838 .S344 2001
Contains membership tables and a classified index of organizations.
- Routledge History of International Organizations: From 1815 to the Present Day
- Ref Balcony JZ 4839 .R45 2009
- Guide to IGOs, NGOs, and the Military in Peace and Relief Operations
- Ref Balcony JZ 4850 .A17 2000
Contains profiles and background information.
- International Information, Second Edition
- Ref Balcony JZ 4850 .I58 1997
A comprehensive guide to official documents, publications and electronic information provided by
- Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace (4 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JZ 5533 .O95 2010
- Annual Review of Global Peace Operations 2011
- Ref Balcony JZ 6374 .C25 2011
- Encyclopedia of International Peacekeeping Operations
- Ref Balcony JZ 6374 .R36 1999
Brief entries on places, topics, and people.
- American Treaties and Alliances
- Ref Balcony KZ 236 2000
- Encyclopedia of the United Nations and International Agreements, 3rd Ed. (4 vols.)
- Ref Balcony KZ 4968 .O84 2003
A major new resource covering all aspects of UN activities, including peacekeeping missions.
- Key Resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly, 1946-1996
- Ref Balcony KZ 5006.2 .K49 1997
Contains a section on the peacekeeping operations and disarmament.
- Oxford International Military Alliances (2 vols.)
- Ref Balcony KZ 5900 .G53 2009
- Penguin Encyclopedia of Modern Warfare: 1850 to the Present
- Ref U 39 .M33 1991
- Strategic Survey
- Ref. U 162 .S77 2011 - most recent edition in Reference
SIPRI Yearbook: Armaments, Disarmament, and International Security, annual
Ref. UA 10 .S69A 2010
Compiled by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
The Military Balance, annual
Ref. UA 15 .L65 2010 .U48
from the International Institute for Strategic Studies (London)
Indexes and Abstracts
Social Sciences Full Text
Indexes over 300 English-language periodicals covering anthropology, economics, psychology, social
work, sociology, and related fields. Covers 1983 to the present.
Index to policy-oriented literature (books, journal articles and U.S. and foreign government
documents). International coverage of information about political, economic and social issues and
events in specific countries. Covers 1972 to the present.
Connections to full-text newspaper articles from all states(including New York Times and Washington Post), and major
world news sources. Many publications can be searched back to the early 1980s.
CIAO (Columbia International Affairs Online)
A comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs. It publishes a wide range of
scholarship from 1991 onward that includes working papers from university research institutes,
occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, proceedings from conferences,
books, journals and policy briefs.
Catalog of U.S. Government Publications
An index of all federal government publications from 1976 to the present.
Congressional Committee Hearings
Provides links to the full text of the transcripts of selected House and Senate committee hearings, 1995 to the present.
A collection of abstracts and articles from over 100 scholarly journals, many dating from the nineteenth-century to the last 4 or 5 years.
- Yahoo - International Organizations Links
Links to almost 400 web sites.
- U.S. State Department
- United Nations
- Freedom House
Inlcudes online access to the annual Freedom in the World reports.
- National Endowment for Democracy
Provides grants to prodemocracy organizations throughout the world.
- African Union
- European Union
- Multinational Force and Observers (MFO)
A non-UN peacekeeping mission, operating in the Sinai Peninsula.
- Non-Aligned Movement (NAM)
Founded in 1961 by Tito, this group of developing nations advocates solutions to global economic
- Organization of American States
- World Bank
Includes special reports on global economic prospects.
- World Trade Organization
- International Institute for Strategic Studies
- Penn World Table
economic indicators since 1950
- Center for Systemic Peace (CSP)
Formed in 1997 to provide research on the problem of political violence, the CSP site has links to reports and data. Especially useful are datasets on
armed conflict, regime authority characteristics, and the state fragility index.
Last updated: 9/20/12 tk,
contact Tom Karel for assistance, 291-3845