FND111W: Nature of Oceans
Indexes and Abstracts
Search many scholarly journals and publishers at once.
Over 2.9 million records covering every major agricultural subject. Compiled by the National
Agricultural Library of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
A comprehensive reference database covering life sciences journal literature. Covers 1926 to the present.
Nearly 2 million records about geology and earth sciences. Covers 1785 to present (North America) and 1933 to present (worldwide).
Web of Science (ISI)
The Institute of Scientific Information's premier citation databases in the physical,
life, and social sciences. Search for articles that cite a known author
or work or by standard search queries. Covers 1965 to the present.
The Library provides access to many journals online and in print.
For best results:
1. Find a citation. Use Web of Science, Biological Abstracts, or other indexes (above).
2. Go to Journal Finder and enter the journal title in the E-Journal Portal.
3. From the results, navigate to the journal title, year, volume, issue and page number of the article.
4. If the no results appear, try the Journal Finder Journals List (top search box).
5. If the Library does not subscribe to the journal (or your article), you may be able to get it through Interlibrary Loan.
Popular full-text sources are listed below:
Collection of reviews (secondary literature) on a variety of science topics. Reviews provide detailed overviews (historical development, major research) of a field. Coverage from 1984 - 1994 (abstracts only), 1995 - present (full-text).
Searchable collection of 60+ bioscience research journals published by scholarly societies. Access to individual
journal titles can also be found on the Biology "by Subject" page.
General Science Full Text
Journals and magazines from the U.S. and Great Britain, covering all major scientific fields.
Indexing from 1984 to present, abstracting from 1993 to present.
A collection of full-text articles from over 1500 scholarly journals, dating from the
nineteenth-century to the last 4 or 5 years. Use Advanced Search to strategically search. Choose PDF from within JStor to properly view and print articles.
Links to current laws, bills, regulations, Supreme Court cases, and more US Government information.
Links to federal agency web sites.
Books and Reference Sources
- Excellent starting point to find book and periodical resources found in the libraries. Try
searching subjects like fisheries and fishes.
For ideas or definitions, try the following reference books:
- Encyclopedia of Aquaculture
- Sci Ref SH20.3 .E53 2000
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity, 5 vols.
- Sci Ref QH541.15 .B56 E53 2001
- Encyclopedia of Marine Science
- Sci Ref GC9 .N53 2009
- Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences, 6 vols.
- Sci Ref GC9.15 .E53 2001
- Encyclopedia of the Biosphere, 11 vols.
- Sci Ref QH343.4 .B5613 2000
- Interdisciplinary Encyclopedia of Marine Sciences, 3 vols.
- Sci Ref GC9 .I58 2002
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
United Nations. Food and Agriculture Organization. Fisheries & Aquaculture Dept.
Last updated: 1/18/12 le
contact Laura Eiford for assistance, 291-3843.
- Regional Fisheries Management Councils
Gulf of Mexico