GOV 332: International Organizations
General Reference Sources
- Europa World Year Book 2007
- Ref Desk D 2 E8 2007
Contains chapters on each country of the world and the major international organizations.
A brief introductory survey is supplemented by a comprehensive statistical survey. This
is a good, quick source for recent statistics on a country. Also, the text of the Constitution,
a government directory, the diplomatic corps, the press, and trade organizations are
included.These volumes are kept at the Reference Desk.
- Statesman's Yearbook 2007
- Ref Desk JA 51 S7
An annual directory of international organizations and the countries of the world. The basic
information is comparable to what is found in EUROPA, though EUROPA's statistical and directory
sections are more comprehensive. This volume is kept at the Reference Desk.
- World Development Report 2007
- Re HC 59.7 .W659 2007
published by the World Bank
- European Union: Encyclopedia and Directory
- Re HC 241.2 .E8334 2004
- Encyclopedia of Arms Control and Disarmament (3 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JX 1974 .E57 1993
Lengthy essays on a variety of topics. Vol. 2 contains chapters on arms control activity since
- Yearbook of the United Nations 2004
- Ref Balcony JX 1977 .A37Y4 2004
A comprehensive overview of the official activities of the UN. The 7 sections of the Yearbook
cover: political and security questions, regional questions and peacekeeping, human rights, economic
and social questions, legal questions, administrative questions, and intergovernmental
- A Global Agenda: Issues Before the 58th General Assembly of the United Nations
- Ref Balcony JX 1977 .A1U5244 2003-2004
Prepared by the United Nations Association of the U.S., this annual publication covers
peacekeeping activities, arms control, economic development, global resource management,
humanitarian concerns, and legal issues.
- Encyclopedia of International Relations and Global Politics
- Ref Balcony JZ 1160 .E53 2005
- Greenwood Encyclopedia of International Relations (4 vols.)
- Ref Balcony JZ 1160 .N65 2002
- Europa Directory of International Organizations, 2003
- Ref Balcony JZ 4838 .E94
Contains information on membership, governing structure, and activities.
- Historical Dictionary of International Organizations
- Ref Balcony JZ 4838 .S34 1998
Includes a chronology of events and a historical overview.
- International Organizations: A Dictionary and Directory
- Ref Balcony JZ 4838 .S344 2001
Contains membership tables and a classified index of organizations.
- Guide to IGOs, NGOs, and the Military in Peace and Relief Operations
- Ref Balcony JZ 4850 .A17 2000
Contains profiles and background information.
- International Information, Second Edition
- Ref Balcony JZ 4850 .I58 1997
A comprehensive guide to official documents, publications and electronic information provided by
- Encyclopedia of International Peacekeeping Operations
- Ref Balcony JZ 6374 .R36 1999
Brief entries on places, topics, and people.
- Great Debates at the United Nations: An Encyclopedia of Fifty Key Issues, 1945-2000
- Ref Balcony K 4968 .G67 2001
The major peacekeeping operations of the UN are covered in this volume.
- Encyclopedia of the United Nations and International Agreements, 3rd Ed. 4 vols.
- Ref Balcony KZ 4968 .O84 2003
A major new resource covering all aspects of UN activities, including peacekeeping missions.
- Key Resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly, 1946-1996
- Ref Balcony KZ 5006.2 .K49 1997
Contains a section on the peacekeeping operations and disarmament.
Indexes and Abstracts
Social Sciences Full Text
Indexes over 300 English-language periodicals covering anthropology, economics, psychology, social
work, sociology, and related fields. Covers 1983 to the present.
Index to policy-oriented literature (books, journal articles and U.S. and foreign government
documents). International coverage of information about political, economic and social issues and
events in specific countries. Covers 1972 to the present.
Connections to newspaper articles (including New York Times and Washington Post), business
information (including SEC filings), and legal resources (including state and federal case law).
CIAO (Columbia International Affairs Online)
A comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs. It publishes a wide range of
scholarship from 1991 onward that includes working papers from university research institutes,
occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, proceedings from conferences,
books, journals and policy briefs.
- Yahoo - International Organizations Links
Links to almost 400 web sites.
- U.S. State Department
- United Nations
- African Union
- European Union
- Multinational Force and Observers (MFO)
A non-UN peacekeeping mission, operating in the Sinai Peninsula.
- Non-Aligned Movement (NAM)
Founded in 1961 by Tito, this group of developing nations advocates solutions to global economic
- Organization of American States
- World Bank
Includes special reports on global economic prospects.
- World Trade Organization
Last updated: 8/30/07 ag,
contact Tom Karel for assistance, 291-3845