PHI 122: Introduction to Moral Philosophy
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Encyclopedia of Ethics
- Ref BJ 63.E45 2001
Major philosophical reference work for background information on general ethical issues and topics. 3 volumes.
- Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics
- Ref BJ 63.A66 1997
Major philosophical reference work for background information on topics in applied ethics. 4 volumes.
- Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Ref /B/41/.E5
Major philosophical reference work for background information on nearly any philosophical topic prior to 1965. Separate supplement published in 1996. Lengthy signed articles which include bibliographies of further readings. Use the detailed index (last) volume to find your topic.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
This ten volume set begun in 1991 serves as an update to the Encyclopedia of Philosophy. An extensive subject index with ample cross references, this set is invaluable for obtaining and overview of major philosophical areas of research. Contains bibliographies.
- Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
Contains a full length article on the philosophy of mind that is sub-divided by perspective. Its alphabetical arrangement includes bibliographic references at the end of many sections.
- International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavorial Sciences
- Contains searchable full-text encyclopedia articles on topics in the social and behavorial sciences, published in 2002.
Handbooks and Manuals
- Philosopher's Guide to Sources, Research Tools, Professional Life, and Related Fields
- Ref/ Z/7125/.D445
Guide to various types of resources in philosophy. Arranged by time period, school, material type. Dated. Well-indexed.
- Ready Reference to Philosophy East and West
"...a readily accessible account of the history of philosophy." (preface) Arranged by time period and type -i.e., Middle Ages, Indian Philosophy, Chinese Philosophy. Brief index to philosophers and philosophical movements and theories.
- Companion to the Philosophy of Mind
Comprised of in-depth essays, this handbook is helpful for synthesizing related concepts.
- Handbook of Western Philosophy
Begins with chapter on "What is Philosophy?" and continues with individual, beautifully written essays on philosophical issues such as truth, analysis of knowledge, induction and probability, Aesthetics. Notes and bibliography included at close of each essay. Notes on contributors provided at end as well as index and chronology.
Indexes and Abstracts
- Humanities Full Text
- Indexes over 300 English-language periodicals covering classical studies, history, literature, performing arts, philosophy, and related fields. Covers 1984 to the present.
- Philosopher Index
- The comprehensive scholarly database covering book and journals since 1940 in philosophy. It is a major source of information in such areas as anesthetics, epistmology, ethics, logic, etc.
Full Text Databases
Last updated: 11/15/04 sv, contact Scott Vine for assistance, 291-3840
- A collection of abstracts and articles from over 200 scholarly journals, many dating from the nineteenth-century to the last 4 or 5 years.
- A very large database of full text articles from major magazines and newspapers, updated daily.