ANT 269: Cultures and Conflicts of the Middle East
How to find background information
Use reference sources to get ideas for topics, to get background information, and to guide you to
- Encyclopedia of Middle Eastern mythology and religion. Shaftesbury, Dorset, c1993.
- Reference Room BL1060 .K63 1993
- The concise encyclopedia of Islam. 2002.
- Reference Room BP40 .N48 2002
- The Muslim almanac : a reference work on the history, faith, culture, and peoples of Islam. Detroit, MI: Gale Research, c1996
- Reference Room BP40 .M83 1996
- The Oxford history of Islam. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Reference Room BP50 .O95 1999
- Historical dictionary of Islamic fundamentalist movements in the Arab world, Iran, and Turkey. Lanham, Md: Scarecrow Press, 1999.
- Reference Room BP60 .M36 1999
- The Oxford encyclopedia of the modern Islamic world. New York: Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Reference Room DS35.53 .O95 1995 4 volumes
- Encyclopedia of the modern Middle East. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 1996.
- Reference Room DS43 .E53 1996 4 volumes
- The Cambridge encyclopedia of the Middle East and North Africa. New York : Cambridge University Press, 1988.
- Reference Room DS44 .C37 1988
- The Oxford encyclopedia of archaeology in the Near East. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997. 5 volumes.
- Reference Room DS56 .O9 1997
- The Middle East. Washington, D.C.: CQ Press, c2000.
- Reference Room DS63.1 .M484 2000
- Historical atlas of the Middle East. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993.
- Reference RoomAtlas Area G2206.S1 F7 1993
How to find books
Select Library Catalog from the Library web page
How To Find Journal and Newspaper Articles
Available from the Library web page under Indexes and Article Collections. Browse the entire list
to find databases relevant to your particular topic. The databases listed below are most likely to
ATLA Religion Index
Comprehensive database in religious and theological scholarship. Covers from 1949 to the
Provides extensive worldwide indexing in the fields of social, cultural, physical, biological, and
linguistic anthropology, ethnology, archaeology, folklore, material culture, and interdisciplinary
studies. Covers over 2500 journals, 19th century to the present.
Human Relations Area Files Online (HRAF Online)
A collection of ethnographic texts arranged by culture and subject. Includes full-text material on
Arab-Americans, Arab-Canadians, and Kurds.
Comprehensive international historical coverage (excluding the U.S. and Canada) from 1450 to the
present. Covers abstracts from 1954 to the present.
Connections to newspaper articles, business information, and legal resources.
PAIS International and
International coverage of information about political, economic and social issues and events in
specific countries. Covers 1972 to the present and 1915-1976 in the Archive.
Full version comprehensive database of over 1500 journals covering sociology, social work,
and other social sciences. Covers 1963 to the present.
Wilson Select Plus
Contains indexed and abstracted articles all with full-text online.
How to get articles and books
Search for journals owned by F&M:
Click on the Journals at F&M box on the Library web
page, and then enter the name of the journal.
Full text online:
Interlibrary Loan for books and articles:
Form available from Library web page. You will need the barcode number from your ID card. Be
THOROUGH in the information you provide. If you are unsure of any citation information, please
indicate in "Comments" field. Also, please include source of the citation whenever possible. Allow
two weeks for delivery, some items may arrive sooner.
Click on the box How to Cite, Search, etc. on the
library homepage for information on citation styles and advice on how to evaluate print resources
and web sites.
If you have any questions about choosing a topic, or using the above resources, you may stop at the
Reference Desk, or contact the librarian below:
Last updated: 9/25/04 ag,
contact Pam Snelson for assistance, 291-3896