STS 232: History of Medicine
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Companion Encyclopedia of the History of Medicine
- Sci Ref R 131 .C65 1993
Essays on various aspects of medical history, organized into 7 broad areas: the place of medicine;
body systems; theories of life, health and disease; understanding disease; clinical medicine;
medicine in society; and, medicine, ideas and culture.
- Dictionary of the History of Medicine
- Sci Ref R 121 .S398 1999
Broad scope includes medical tests, persons, procedures, disease, treatments.
- Encyclopedia of Medical History
- Sci Ref R 133 .M34 1985
A concise, one-volume work which is arranged by topics. Short bibliographies and a detailed
subject index are included.
- Historical Encyclopedia of Nursing
- Sci Ref RT13 .S66 1999
Covers individuals, issues and events related to nursing. Inclusion of references is especially helpful. Some illustrations.
- History of Science in the United States: an Encyclopedia
- Sci Ref Q 127 .U6H57 2001
Some interesting articles related to the history of medicine including unorthodox medicine and weather and medicine. References included. Use index.
- Milestones in Health and Medicine
- Sci Ref R 133 .H36 2000
"Includes more than 500 entries describing advances in the treatment of disease and the
understanding of human health." Written mostly from a national perspective although some
topics are given global consideration.
- Reader's Guide to the History of Science
- Sci Ref Q 125 .R43 2000
Articles cover all aspects of science including medical and health sciences and medicine
and society. Use the index and thematic list to find relevant articles.
- Science and its Times: Understanding the Social Significance of Scientific Discovery
- Sci Ref Q 175.46 .S35 2000
This 7 volume set is a chronolocially arranged encyclopedia with significant coverage
of the history of medicine. Articles provide overview and background information plus
a discussion of the impact of notable events, issues and trends. Includes references.
- The Scientific Revolution: an Encyclopedia
- Sci Ref Q 127 .E8B87 2001
Use the index to find articles related to medicine. Includes useful references.
- Breakthroughs : A Chronology of Great Achievements in Science and Mathematics, 1200-1930
- Sci Ref Q125 .P327 1985
Contains brief descriptions of significant developments, year-by-year, itemized by specific
fields of science.
- A Chronology of Medicine and Related Sciences
- Sci Ref R 133 .M717 1997
Offers a broad outline of the development of history while including details of
particular fields and individuals.
- History of Science and Technology : a Narrative Chronology
- Sci Ref Q125 .S43713 1988
Covers pre-history to 1970. Arranged by century and discipline.
- Timetables of Science
- Sci Ref Q125 .H557 1988
"A chronology of the most important people and events in the history of science."
- Biographical Dictionary of Medicine
- Sci Ref R 134 .B455 1990
Although titled a dictionary it gives the reader a sense of a person's life and times,
achievements and difficulties.
- Dictionary of American Medical Biography
- Sci Ref R 153 .D53 1984
This is a comprehensive work, good for history of medicine topics. Sketches for over
1,000 medical professionals.
- The Nobel Prize Winners: Physiology or Medicine
- Sci Ref R 134 .N633 1991
Covers 1901 through 1990. Includes the presentation of the award, critical reception,
biographical information, the person's scientific career, and a bibliography.
- Dictionary of Scientific Biography
- Sci Ref Q141 .D5 1970; 1978
Known as the DSB, this set consists of long essays on important deceased scientists.
Volume 15 includes topical essays.
- Biographical Dictionary of American Science: the Seventeenth through Nineteenth Centuries
- Sci Ref Q141 .E373 1990
Brief biographical entries for American scientists who were active before 1906. This also covers
women whose contributions were not acknowledged by their contemporaries.
- Lives & Legacies: an Encyclopedia of People who Changes the World
- Sci Ref Q 141 .S54 1999
Includes concise biographies of people who influenced culture. Highlights the long term
effects and global legacy of an individual's work.
- The Renaissance and Scientific Revolution: Biographical Portraits
- Sci Ref Q 141 .R36 2001
First volume published in a new series. Use the index to find notables in the field of
- Women in Science: Antiquity through the Nineteenth Century
- Sci Ref Q141 .O34 1986
Begins with textual essay on women's historical involvement in science, with an annotated
Guides and Handbooks
- A Guide to the Culture of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Sci Ref Q 175.5 G84
Interdisciplinary approach to the study of science and related fields. Each chapter
deals with a specific area such as history of science, or history of medicine, and includes
an extensive bibliography. Good for topic selection.
- A History of Medicine
- Sci Ref R 131 .D785
Covers medical history from several perspectives while offering a tour through many ages and
- Information Sources in the History of Science and Medicine
- Sci Ref Z 6658 I53 1983
Descriptive overviews of a particular topics, such as history of medicine, and extensive
- Women, Health and Medicine in America: A Historical Handbook
- Sci RA 564.85 .W664 1990
Essays on the history of women and medicine in the United States, and a lengthy bibliography
- ISIS Bibliography
- Sci Ref Z 7405 H6 I2
Comprehensive bibliography for any history of science topic. Monographs and articles are
listed, some with annotations or references to reviews. The cumulative volumes, covering
1913 to 1995, are arranged according to individuals, institutions, and subjects. The annual
volumes are arranged chronologically, with subdivisions for the main fields of science.
- Bibliography of the History of Medicine
- Sci Ref Z 6660 .B5822
Published annually from 1964, with 5-year cumulations, this provides a subject listing of
books and articles.
- Bibliography of Bioethics
- Sci Ref Z 6675 .E8W34
Starting in 1975, this covers books and articles dealing with issues in bioethics.
Limited to English-language materials.
- Information Sources in the History of Science and Medicine
- Sci Ref Z 6658 .I53 1983
This is a good overall study guide, with readable essays and solid bibliographies.
- The History of Science and Technology in the United States: A Critical Bibliography
- Sci Ref Z 7405 .H6R67
A 2-volume set (published in 1982 and 1993) that gives an excellent overview of the history
of science in the U.S. Books, journals, and documents are covered. A separate chapter on
"Biology and the Biomedical Sciences" is most useful for this course.
- History of the Life Sciences: An Annotated Bibliography
- Sci Ref Z 5320 .S55 1974b
This compilation includes an extensive "Historiography of the Life and Medical
Sciences" from antiquity through the Renaissance and later periods.
- The History of Women and Science, Health, and Technology: A Bibliographic Guide to the
Professions and the Disciplines, 2nd Edition
- Sci Ref HQ 1397 .H57 1993
A comprehensive bibliography compiled by the University of Wisconsin.
- Women in Medicine: A Bibliography of the Literature on Women Physicians
- Ref Z 7963 .M43W65 1977 (This volume is located in the Shadek-Fackenthal Library)
The first two sections of this bibliography deal with history and biography.
This volume is located in the Shadek-Fackenthal Library.
- Classics in Medicine
- Sci R 131 ..... (Located in Science Library Reading Area)
This is a series of reprints of classic medical texts, spanning all time periods and
covering a variety of medical topics. So far, 122 volumes have been published. To see a
list of the titles, search LIBCAT under title for classics of medicine.
Indexes and Abstracts
Excellent starting point to find book and periodical resources found in the libraries.
A comprehensive index to the world's scholarly and specialized medical literature,
compiled by the National Library of Medicine. There is a subject heading for "History of
Medicine" as well as the subheading "history" within other subjects. Published
monthly with annual cumulations in paper; updated monthly online. Covers 1965 to the present.
General Science Full Text
Journals and magazines from the U.S. and Great Britain, covering all major scientific fields.
Indexing from 1984 to present, abstracting from 1993 to present.
Applied Science and Technology Literature
English-language periodicals covering engineering, mathematics, physics, and computer technology.
Covers October 1983 to the present.
Humanities Full Text
Indexes over 300 English-language periodicals covering classical studies,
history, literature, performing arts, philosophy, and related fields.
Covers 1984 to the present.
Wilson Select Plus
Contains full-text articles from 800 periodicals. Covers 1994 to the present.
Comprehensive international historical coverage (excluding the U.S. and Canada)
from 1450 to the present. Covers abstracts from 1954 to the present.
America: History and Life
Comprehensive bibliography of articles on the history and culture of the United States and Canada.
Covers 1964 to the present.
(try to use Jstor as an index to find materials we have in print)
A collection of abstracts and articles from over 100 scholarly journals, many dating from the
nineteenth-century to the last 4 or 5 years.
Last updated: 1/25/02 ag,
contact Dale Riordan for assistance, 291-3843