Franklin and Marshall College
Franklin College --- Marshall
College -- Franklin & Marshall
Founding Documents Online
Mr. Frederick Kuhl's (Treasurer) Account of Franklin College in the Borough
of Lancaster (List of paid subscribers), ca. 1787
One of only two
original documents owned by the College mentioning Benjamin Franklin's financial
support for Franklin College, this account or list of paid subscribers clearly
states Franklin's 200 pound contribution.
Click on image for full size.
"An Act to Incorporate and endow the German College and Charity
School in the borough and county of Lancaster in this state" (Franklin
College Charter) - 1787
Printed text of the 1787 charter or act of the state legislature establishing
Franklin College. The original record is in the state archives.
The College Archives retains two handwritten, certified copies, the earliest
dating from 1818. This published version dates from 1912.
Click on image for full size and subsequent pages (17 pages).
See sample page from 1818 handwritten copy of charter
procession and public worship to be observed in the dedication of Franklin
College, in the borough and county of Lancaster = Ordnung welche
in Absicht der Procession und öffentlichen Gottesdienstes bey der Einweihung
der Franklinischen Deutschen Hohe Schule in der Stadt und Graffschaft Lancaster,
zu beobachten. Philadelphia:
Printed by Melchior Steiner, 1787
This printed broadside in both English and German was the
program used for the formal opening of Franklin College on June 6, 1787. While
Franklin did not attend the dedication, he appears to have received copies
of the program and passed one on to the Frenchman
Abbe Morellet who commented on the "toleration in practice" on the
ecumenical religious services held in Lancaster.
See English version.
See German version.
A List of Scholars who have entered into the English School, Franklin College. Anno Domini 1787
List of the first students in the English school of Franklin College 1787-1788
opened on July 18, 1787. Among the students listed are those of the
Jewish Gratz family and children of the Lancaster portrait artist Jacob
Click on image for full size
and subsequent pages (36 pages) PDF.
Benjamin Rush letter to Mrs. Richard Stockton, June 19, 1787
letter to his mother-in-law is the best first-person account existing that
describes the dedication ceremonies for Franklin College held on June 6,
Click on image for full size and subsequent
pages (22 pages) PDF.
Go to transcription and commentary by L.H. Butterfield A letter by Dr. Benjamin Rush, describing the consecration of the German college at Lancaster in June, 1787. Printed, with an introd. and notes, from a newly discovered manuscript, now in the Fackenthal library at Franklin and Marshall college. Lancaster: Franklin and Marshall College, 1945.
"An Act to Incorporate the Marshall College at Mercersburg" (Marshall
College Charter) - 1836
Click on image for full size and subsequent pages (7 pages).
Franklin & Marshall College
An Act to unite and consolidate Marshall College, now at Mercersburg,
with Franklin College, now at Lancaster, under the name of "Franklin
and Marshall College," a corporation, to be located in the city of Lancaster,
or its immediate vicinity (Franklin and Marshall College Charter) -
Click on image for full size and subsequent pages (13 pages)
See sample page from 1853 handwritten copy of charter
Deed for first 10 acres of land Jacob Griel to Franklin and Marshall College,
All items posted here are intended for non-commercial, scholarly research
purposes only and some may be copyright of Franklin and Marshall College.
Permission may be required for use.