ASK A QUESTION
The Library supports the mission of the College by providing scholarly resources vital to liberal education and by teaching the research skills necessary for lifelong learning. The Library is committed to developing knowledgeable information consumers. With this in mind, librarians and professional staff partner with faculty and students to enable effective discovery, access, evaluation and ethical use of information.
The Library will:
- select and preserve materials in appropriate formats that reflect the accumulated knowledge of humanity;
- provide access to scholarly resources in appropriate formats to support the curriculum;
- provide well-equipped and comfortable spaces conducive to scholarly study, research, and the exchange of ideas;
- instruct and guide the college community in the use and interpretation of information resources and technologies;
- maintain and preserve the history of the College and its environs through its archives;
- hire and retain a progressive and professional staff attuned to the academic needs of the college community;
- create / purchase and maintain systems to provide reliable access to information;
- continuously assess programs, services and collections;
- cooperate with appropriate departments on campus to maximize information resources and services;
- actively participate in regional and national library organizations to ensure effective service provision.
Adopted October 1993; revised 1999, 2004, 2009
Shadek-Fackenthal was constructed in 1938 and renovated in 1983. Holdings include American Studies, Anthropology, Art, Athletics, Business, Classics, Dance, Economics, Education, English, Film, Government, History, Music, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Sociology, and Theater.
Martin Library of the Sciences was built 1990 (dedicated 1991). Holdings include Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth & Environment, Health Sciences Information Science, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Archives & Special Collections.
A brief history of the libraries can be found here.
Library annual report for 2010-2011 (PDF). Library six-year statistics for 2005-2011 (HTM).